For Your Enjoyment #34
"What's so frustrating about this is it's a real missed opportunity for Pantone to actually influence people's notions about gender through color."
I believe that I have developed the opposite of FOMO, in fact: I have a case of FOGO, or Fear of Going Out. Okay, well not literally a fear of going out. I still love a party. Always have and always will. But I have an active non-desire to attend the mass-Instagrammed events that clog up all my social-media feeds on several-week-long intervals throughout the year.
- Is FOGO the new FOMO?
The South Downs national park authority said on its Facebook page that for Christmas it would like “peace on Earth and Google Maps to reinstate the South Downs national park”
- "All I want for Christmas is for Google Maps to stop deleting us". The Guardian attempts to investigate why Britain’s newest national park has disappeared from Google Maps for the fourth time.
Bison roaming Yellowstone National Park that are controversially earmarked for slaughter could be spared, with the park looking at implementing a plan next year that will see members of the famed herd relocated to other areas rather than culled.
- Good news for bison: Yellowstone is now considering non-lethal options in its quest to control its wildlife population
In the 1940s the department was trying to deal with an overpopulation of beavers in some regions when wildlife managers settled on a novel idea. They captured beavers and other fur-bearing rodents, packed them into boxes, attached parachutes and dropped them from a plane into the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness.
- In more Animal Relocation News: Idaho's 1940s Dept. of Fish & Game is my new hero.
What if you just stay a duck?
- The NYT deals with being dishonest about ugliness, and asks what the real problem would be if we weren't all beautiful swans.
"Just another day in the United States of America - another day of gun fire, panic, and fear."
"The erosion of the UK's wildlife is staggering and this is reinforced when you talk about puffin and turtle dove now facing the same level of extinction threat as African elephant and lion, and being more endangered than the humpback whale."
- Atlantic puffins, European turtle doves, Slavonian grebes and pochards have recently been added to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species for birds.
If they truly want their generosity to result in sustainable change, they need to be willing to make contributions without strings attached.
"I took off all my clothes, and I rolled down the hill as fast as I can. I was just screaming, and hair and boobs were flying, and shoes were going everywhere."
- Playboy ends its 60+ year tradition of nude photoshoots with one last Pamela Anderson hurrah